Minako Steel is a Principal in Squar Milner’s Tax Department and a co-leader of Japanese Service Group. She is a bilingual (English & Japanese) CPA with more than 18 years of public accounting experience. She specializes in C-corporations.
Areas of expertise include accounting methods, accounting for income taxes (ASC740), ownership analysis, R&D credits, tax planning for international expansion, cross-border transactions, and inbound tax planning.
Prior to joining Squar Milner, Minako served as a Tax Senior Manager at a large regional accounting firm and previously at a Big Four firm. Minako utilized her bilingual skills and served Japanese companies in the United States working in a Japanese service group at Deloitte. She moved to the lead tax group and has provided services to US and Japan–based companies in a multitude of industries such as life science, technology, clean technology, manufacturing, and retail. She has served pre-IPO and public companies including privately held middle market companies. She managed public and private company’s tax provision work (ASC740) and complicated tax issues across a wide range of industries.
- Certified Public Accountant, California
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, California Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Bachelor of Art, Japanese Literature, Kokugakuin University, Tokyo Japan
- Bachelor of Science, Accounting, Mesa State College, Colorado
- Master of Science in Taxation, Golden Gate University, California
- Board Member, Financial Women of San Francisco (FWSF), Co-chair, Membership Committee