Minako Steel is a Principal in Squar Milner’s Tax Department and a Co-Leader of the Japanese Service Group. She has more than 18 years of public accounting experience with extensive background working with C-corporations. Her areas of expertise include accounting methods, accounting for income taxes (ASC740), ownership analysis, R&D credits, tax planning for international expansion, cross-border transactions, and inbound tax planning. Minako speaks both English and Japanese.
Prior to joining Squar Milner, Minako served as a Tax Senior Manager at a large regional accounting firm and previously at a Big Four firm. Minako worked in a Japanese service group at Deloitte, where she served Japanese companies operating in the United States. She moved to the lead tax group and has provided services to US and Japan–based companies in a multitude of industries such as life science, technology, clean technology, manufacturing, and retail. She has served pre-IPO and public companies including privately held middle market companies. She managed public and private company tax provision work (ASC740) and complicated tax issues across a wide range of industries.
- Certified Public Accountant, California
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, California Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Bachelor of Art, Japanese Literature – Kokugakuin University, Tokyo Japan
- Bachelor of Science, Accounting – Mesa State College
- Master of Science, Taxation – Golden Gate University
- Board Member, Financial Women of San Francisco (FWSF), Co-chair, Membership Committee