Rick has 20 years of experience providing audit and assurance services to SEC/publicly and privately held clients in financial services, real estate, hospitality and construction, and has extensive experience providing management and business advisory, due diligence, and restructuring services. His recent experience includes leading audits of entities with significant and complex issues such as:
- Hard to value investments (nonperforming loans, CMBS securities, investment properties, investments in joint ventures, mothballed projects, etc.)
- Acquisitions of mortgages secured by distressed real estate properties and subsequent foreclosure on such properties
- Large acquisitions of up to 850 properties and related valuations and purchase price allocations
- Substantial impairment charges on real estate properties and other long lived assets
- Liquidity concerns
Rick’s current and former clients include high profile companies in the financial services and real estate industry including public and private diversified financial services companies, REITs, registered investment companies, funds, developers, homebuilders, and diversified commercial companies. Rick’s experience, in addition to audits, includes advisory assignments including capital formation, IPOs, secondary offerings and private placements, mergers and due diligence, underwriting, development of business plans, controls evaluation, mortgage securitization, best practice diagnostics, litigation support, financial restructurings, and bankruptcy.
Prior to Squar Milner, Rick was a senior manager at EY for nine years. At EY, Rick was a member of the firm’s global internal audit quality review group and each year spent substantial amount of time conducting independent inspections of clients of EY offices around the globe. Inspections included large multinational companies in several industries and encompassed U.S. SEC Registrants, SEC Foreign Private Issuers, private equity funds, as well as private companies.
- Certified Public Accountant, California
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, California Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, NAREIT
- Bachelor, Business Administration with a concentration in Finance and Accounting – California State University, Fullerton