Rick is a Partner in Squar Milner’s Audit Department. Rick has over 14 years of experience providing audit and assurance services to SEC/publicly and privately held clients in the real estate, hospitality, construction, and financial services and has extensive experience providing management and business advisory, due diligence, and restructuring services. His recent experience includes leading audits of entities with significant and complex issues such as:
- Hard to value investments (CMBS securities, nonperforming mortgage loans, investments in joint ventures, mothballed projects, etc.)
- Large acquisitions of up to 850 properties and related valuations and purchase price allocations
- Acquisitions of mortgages secured by distressed real estate properties and subsequent foreclosure on such properties
- Substantial impairment charges on real estate properties and other long-lived assets
- Liquidity concerns
Rick’s clients have included high-profile companies in the real estate industry including REITs, investment companies, homebuilders, funds, developers, and diversified commercial companies. Rick’s experience, in addition to audits, includes advisory assignments including capital formation, IPOs, secondary offerings and private placements, mergers and due diligence, underwriting, development of business plans, controls evaluation, mortgage securitization, best practice diagnostics, litigation support, financial restructurings, and bankruptcy.
Prior to Squar Milner, Rick was a senior manager with Ernst & Young for nine years. At EY, Rick was a member of the firm’s global internal audit quality review group and each year spent a substantial amount of time conducting independent inspections of clients of EY offices around the globe. Inspections included large multinational companies in several industries and encompassed US SEC Registrants, SEC Foreign Private Issuers, private equity funds, as well as private companies.
- Certified Public Accountant, California
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, California Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, NAREIT
Bachelor Degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Finance and Accounting, California State University, Fullerton